Sunday 29 December 2019

Lamming Medievals: MA/3 Ballista


I recently bought an eBay lot of seven Lamming Ballistas, unopened in their original packets.

I had hoped they might be the Roman ones but I am sure I could easily use them for either period.

While Bill Lamming made two crew figures for his bombard model as far as I know there were no specific ballista crew. Of course there are plenty of figures with open hands which would easily serve in this role.

The seven packs I bought didn't all have the same number of all the pieces, hence there are one or two differences you may spot on the three models in the photograph.

I decided to mount them all on round bases that would just accommodate them, then singly based figures could be used as crew.

8 comments:

Wellington Man said...

They are extremely cool, VW! I couldn't spot the differences, though. A bigger picture, perhaps?
Best regards, and best wishes for the New Year
WM

tradgardmastare said...

They look excellent, shock and awe ancient style.

Vintage Wargaming said...

Thanks both.

WM - the differences are minor and depend on what was in each packet by way ow wining wheels, brakes etc. i added the bolts (is that the right word) but chickened out of trying to add bowstrings from 0.4mm brass wire.

I am pleased with them but am now on the lookout for a Roman one to see in what ways they are different.

Independentwargamesgroup said...

You lucky so and so, lovely pieces.

Dave Smith said...

I’ve had a great deal of luck with simply requesting East Riding Miniatures to cast unlisted Lamming miniatures. One must be very patient but he does deliver.

Vintage Wargaming said...

Thanks Dave, I do keep in touch with Tony at ERM and he kindly dug the mould for the medieval Ballista out so he could let me know just how many and what parts the kit should have

Vintage Wargaming said...

STOP PRESS: Much to my surprise I have just found in a box two more of these assembled, which I have no recollection at all of having

Dave Smith said...

On the list of miniatures Tony sent me he has listed:

RE16 Roman Ballstaman standing

RE17 Roman Ballstaman crouching

RA1 Scorpio ballista
RA2 Cheiro ballista