Tuesday 2 June 2020

More Medieval and Roman siege artillery


Last week I ventured into my loft for the first time in about eighteen months.

I have recently acquired a number of Rose and Hinton Hunt ACW units and I needed to see what I already had, and put them into the best combinations as units.

I also knew I had a small number of additional painted Rose Napoleonic units which would just need rebasing to my new Rose standard.

Then I had my RJW project, where I needed to find again the ones in the loft I already had painted. Figures are mostly Jacklex with some Stonewall ones thrown in. The bad news was having fairly recently finally tracked down the Stonewall figures on their website (not easy, I promise you) and having taken an inordinate time to paint the 60 or so Japanese infantry I had in the queue ... I found I hd another 60 or so of the blighters undercoated in the loft. So more work on them, then...Still it puts forward the evil day when I have to try to put together the handrails on the two new Japanese field guns I bought a while ago from Mark at Jacklex.

But a collateral benefit was this group of medieval and Roman artillery pieces. I think that is now the ninth Lamming medieval ballista I've found I had, together with some type of mini trebuchet and two Roman scorpios. I've no idea who made these last three items - the scorpios are definitely right bu the "trebuchet" has been assembled from a box of bits including some other frames and a catapult arm. These will all have been odd bits which were included with something else I bought and which I had wanted at the time.

Glad to have (re) discovered them now - I had no idea they were there.

Next post will be the Rose Napoleonics - more of the same as in previous posts, but only one more Old Guard battalion which means the ration of line to Guard has improved a bit.

Then I will do some posts on the Rose and other ACW units once I have done the photographs.

And eventually something about some Hinchliffe System 12 figures and accessories which I have recently acquired -- though that might be on Vintage Wargaming.

So all in all I'm hoping to increase tyhe productivity of my logs a bit in the near future, Good intentions, eh?

2 comments:

Rob Young said...

Can't really tell from the angle but check out RAFM for the machines - they used to be imported into the UK in the 90s by Robinson Imports so were readily available over here.
http://www.rafm.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RAF&Category_Code=SE&view_perpage=all

Vintage Wargaming said...

Good call on RAFM Rob, highly likely I would think