Tuesday 12 May 2020

Lamming Napoleonic Figures


A recent eBay arrival contained, among other things, around 20 Lamming Napoleonic foot and eight mounted figures. There were one of each of the foot figures and some duplicates among the mounted, which included four different types of horse.

This is a significant addition for me as I have never had sight of most of these figures - I have a couple of units (yet to be repainted) and a few odds and ends, mostly command figures.

The foot figures contain more of these (command figures), two four man artillery crews (RHA and French Foot), and a number of standard infantrymen.

The artillery crews do not quite include all the gunner figures which were produced. There is also one slightly intriguing figure, of which more anon. With this exception they are all from the first series Napoleonic Range (before Bill Lamming replaced them all with "heroic 25 mm" versions. While all the figures are very welcome additions, I am particularly struck by the mounted figures as I am not sure (without an all-day expedition into the loft) whether I actually have any of the first series cavalry already.

I will also need to do some further investigation into the horses, in case I can identify and/or find a list for those with visible codes - this may provide a further post.


BRITISH FIGURES


British Line Infantry BI 1,2 and 5 - advancing, officer and drummer




British Light Infantry BI 8 - advancing


Royal Fusilier Officer BI 10


Royal Horse Artillery BA 1, 3, 5, 6


Royal Scots Grey Officer BC 6


FRENCH FIGURES


French Line Elite Company FI 1


Imperial Guard Grenadiers FI 4, 6, 3 - officer, drummer and advancing


French Line Fusilier FI 8


French Line Foot Artillery FA 1, 3, 5 and 6


French Cuirassier Officer FC 8


Dutch or Polish Lancer FC 19


PRUSSIAN FIGURES


Prussian Line Infantry PI 3 - officer


Prussian Guard Grenadiers PI 5, 2 - officer and advancing


FIGURES - IDENTIFICATION NOT CONFIRMED

I have not been able to provide confirmed identification of these figures and any help with this would be gratefully received. In some cases I have a strong idea but don't yet have 100% certainty.


Mystery Prussian Line Infantry - PI 1?






French Hussar Elite in Busby FC 13; or FC 1 Chasseur a Cheval of the Guard? Or other? Horse is not necessarily a clue - haven't done any work on the horses so mounted at random


Possibly British Hussar BC 1

I have two further British Cavalry figures to photograph - British Lifeguards BC 3 and 8 - trooper and officer.

When I have done whatever I can on the identification of the horses (which may not, of course, have been the right ones to start with) I will add new photographs. I also hope to add individual posts for each of the figures in this post.

And next I will post something about the mystery Prussian Fusilier pictured above. I have been talking to the Hinton Spieler about this figure and I think it is fair to say we haven't reached a consensus on it, so I think Matthew will be also be posting about it there,

1 comment:

Lumleyboy said...

Hi, I purchased a large number of Lamming figures from a local hardware shop in Sunderland during the summer of 1971. They had started to stock them in mid 1971 and I purchased units of all of the ones featured in the photographs. Whilst I liked the grenadier figures for the Prussians I was rather disappointed with the much smaller and different style of the Prussian musketeer. It is the one you have marked as a Mystery figure. Whilst I still have the French and British, I don't still have the originals of the Prussians as a friend of mine was painting up 1805-1807 Russians inspired by the BBC War and Peace drama and wanted to do a swap for them and I accepted. This should give you some sort of timescale and that they were certainly being produced with the newer style Lamming figures in your photos. He may have been made earlier but he was still what they were offering for sale at that time.